At the end of last year, Model Remodel was busy digging away a lonely hill in Alki that would soon be the site of an all-new home. You may have seen the blog post, “Digging it in West Seattle.” The homeowner had the foresight to envision a towering home with panoramic views that stretched across the water to the mountains, and he bought up the land. Now that the hill is cleared away, Model Remodel is building the home right into it, and it’s really coming along.
The windows and doors are set, the siding has begun, the roof is complete, and plumbers have installed three levels of radiant heat floors. There are many other notable features on the horizon, no pun intended.
- The view, in case you missed it, is superb—Olympic Mountains, the Puget Sound, West Coast sunsets, and the crew even remarked how it saw a submarine floating around a couple weeks ago.
- The master bedroom is on the top floor, and the homeowner’s bed will face picture windows in the corner. For the rare time that he does not want to take in the beautiful view, he will have automatic blinds to block the light.
- The house will have a washer/dryer on two different floors, to reduce the need to travel up and down the tall house. Supervisor Jim Frank said about the house, “It’s not necessarily the biggest house I’ve ever worked on, but it’s one of the tallest!” The house is roughly 50 feet tall.
- There are numerous outdoor spaces, with each patio and balcony more beautiful than the next. The homeowner’s pride and joy is the top-most balcony. In addition to the breathtaking view, it will eventually have a complete entertainment center conveniently undercover from the rain.
- Also on the top floor will be a bathroom parlor—specifically a tub that opens up into a larger room. The room- you guessed it- has a great view.
- And with features like dual flush toilets, energy-saving light bulbs, and insulated concrete walls, the house is aiming for a 4-Star Built Green certification.
Model Remodel owes large thanks to Compass Construction. The company was integral in the framing of the home. For more information about the company and its work, contact Craig Stevens at 206-420-4991.
To see how the house comes together, keep your eyes on the Model Remodel blog and portfolio pages!