MRM Ushers in Earth Day with a Eastside Harvest House Green Building Tour
On March 29th almost 100 participants personally experienced the nearly completed Eastside Harvest House project. The home’s design team hosted design / build professionals, realtors, city staffers and interested neighbors – all eager to see what’s been happening at this new construction site on the eastside of Lake Washington for the last year.
This green building educational tour was among several offered throughout the project’s development, not only to built environment professionals and enthusiasts, but also to several Environmental Science and Sustainability Design students from local junior and senior high schools.
Key features of this net zero energy concept home are:
- Use of energy efficient and renewable resources, including a highly insulated enclosure, energy simulation to optimize design, and 17Kw solar array to provide all of the home’s electrical energy needs, extensive battery back up and on-demand, energy use management systems
- On-site, high-capacity stormwater management and rainwater harvesting will provide 60 percent of the home’s needs; harvested water will be filtered to municipal standards for potable use
- Permaculture design with extensive edible and functional landscaping including fruit and nut orchard, berry bushes, bee fountain and terraced vegetables beds
- Materials and finishes included using 100 percent FSC lumber, low or no toxicity materials and finishes; minimum PVC used; highest standards set for indoor air quality; recycled content nails used in construction; recycled content counter tops and materials chosen for durability and low maintenance properties
- Waste management deconstruction plan recycled over 98 percent of previous onsite structure; advanced framing techniques reduced waste
- Design dedicated only a quarter of the expansive, one-acre site to the home and garage footprint while the balance works to harvest the sun, soil and rain
- Neighborhood attributes include a walkable community with nearby trails and lakeside walking promenade; located on main Metro bus routes
The home is targeting both Built Green 5 Stars, LEED for Homes Platinum and may be a candidate for a future net-zero-energy certification.
If you want to know more about building a new high-performance home or remodeling green, contact us anytime. — MRM Family
* All images provided by Cindy Apple Photography